Murundaka is a cohousing community in Heidelberg Heights, Victoria.
We see cohousing as a way to live together intentionally, including by sharing our gardens and resources, cooking and eating together regularly, and making decisions as a community.
Our cohousing community includes 20 fully self-contained private homes rented by cooperative members and their families, along with a large common house with kitchen, multi-purpose dining/lounge area, activity room, laundry, recycling room and shed. We also share a community workspace, guest room, activity room and quiet creative space. Private dwellings are smaller than average because we share common spaces and resources.
As part of the wider EARTH Housing Cooperative, members manage the community together by looking after maintenance and collecting rents. We have working groups for sharing the development and work of the community, and make decisions by consensus. We strive for sustainability in many ways, and engage with local and other like-minded communities and individuals.
Our first residents moved in during November 2011. In the coming year we hope to hold open mornings and other community events to help introduce the idea of sustainable cohousing neighbourhoods to everyone!
For more information email info <AT> murundakacohousing <DOT> org <DOT> au.
We are a cooperative community, relating to each other with respect, compassion and support.
We acknowledge the traditional owners on whose land we are living and working, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
- We live sustainably: Conscious of ourselves, our local community, the world and our legacy for the future through our individual and collective actions.
- We live with integrity: Balancing rights and responsibilities and behaving with authenticity.
- We are self-reflective and outward looking: Curious, courageous, collaborative, valuing the cohesion of the group and the wisdom of all.
- We are part of our broader communities: Learning from and engaging in dialogue and action.
- We have fun: Encouraging trust and harmony through play, spontaneity and creativity.
These statements represent our vision of what we want to be together and who we are already. We’ll aim high and forgive each other when we fall short.